Proverb Monday, #34

Proverb: ɔdomankoma Wuo nyε obi a yεne no di kamamenka
Meaning: Almighty Death is not a person we play with
Root and Context: Someone once took Death to Court, saying he had not been given notice of his intent. Death replied that he had given it, but had been ignored. The person had had many illnesses and by going to the doctor, had got adjournments. Now the court would allow no more. Hence: Death's final judgement cannot be appealed against.
No. 2247 in Bu me Bε by Peggy Appiah et al.

Comments

  1. I think it translates betters as " You cannot argue with Almighty Death". "Kamamenka" implies an argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading the root and context. Interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kinna I Agree. That's an exact translation. Sometimes I've to add my own translation and caveat it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Geosi, you're always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the story of taking death to court! So fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Help Improve the Blog with a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

69. The Clothes of Nakedness by Benjamin Kwakye, A Review

10. Unexpected Joy at Dawn: My Reading

Pre-Colonial* and Post Colonial African Literature - Is Writing the Path to Development