Library Additions

Some books have found their way into my shelf. Whereas some are on my Top 100 list others were purchased as an entree into that genre.
  1. The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov: Truthfully, science fiction is not my area, most especially when it involves different planets and aliens. I have never really done well with this genre. I remember I tried one and had to abandon it, without going back to it. Perhaps the only book to suffer such a fate. Yet, I want to try the genre and what a better way to do this than to start with such a prolific author who is touted to have authored over 500 books and 9,000 letters distributed in every major division of the Dewey system of library classification. Asimov was considered as one of the three hardcore science fiction writers during his time. The Foundation Trilogy is made up of tree stories: Foundation, Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation. These three form the early foundation series. Do you know that the word Robotics was first used by Asimov in The Robot Collection (1941)?
  2. The Backward Glance by Edith Wharton: Edith is on my list of authors I have to buy if I come across their books. This is not a challenge, however. I have a long list of authors whose works I do buy whether they are on list of challenges or not. This book is autobiographical, though I really would have wanted to read a complete novel. However, it promises to be fun.
  3. Definition of a Miracle by Farida Bedwei: So after having excerpted this story, brought you an interview with the author, and reviewed her reading at the Goethe institute, it is only fair that I got myself a copy. And it was autographed by the author. Thanks Farida but sorry I couldn't be at the launch on last Saturday. I heard it was fun.
  4. Beloved by Toni Morrison: At long last, the search is over and Beloved would live forever in my shelf. How I have searched for this masterpiece! How I have envied those who have found it. Ask Geosi. It is the search of this book that led me to Song of Solomon by the same author. This book is on my list of Top 100 books to be read in five years. The copy I got is a very old one yet the story is the same, so why the worry? The way things are positively moving in the direction of that challenge I have a firm belief that I would exceed 50 percent.
  5. Still Life by A.S. Byatt: After reading Possession, I never thought I would see Byatt's book and quickly pick it up. Yet, books attract, especially if they come cheap and cost more than ten times less. So I have Still Life and I would be reading it, though not now. I would have to gather enough vim through the comments I would receive here.
  6. Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson: You want to know how 'non-professional' reviewers influence readers? Some people don't appreciate what we do; they claim we do not do justice to books. Well, I don't know about those what I know is that reviewers have effect on their readership. A month ago I would see this book and not give a second glance. Yet, after seeing my book bloggers doing a weekend of Persephone reading (including Boston Bibliophile), I decided to try their offering as this book is also from Persephone books.
These are the books I have added to my shelf in the past week or two. Do visit often for the reviews, as I would review every one of these books though I cannot tell when that would be.

Comments

  1. What a great list you have here! In fact, I am eager to pick Farida's book... though I have passed by it at the bookstores many occassions. Yay! Morrison is in there... I am told the story is quite complex. Hope to read your thoughts... on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Geosi, thanks. Yes, I expect it to be complex. If you have read Song of Solomon you wouldn't be surprised what Morrison can weave with words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when you tells us your reading plans! It always inspires me! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sarah, it does? Aww I am glad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great list of books! I haven't read any of them though I'll be eagerly watching for your thoughts on a few of them (Farida's especially).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be glad to share my thoughts with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Beloved in grad school and it was a shattering experience; I've never dared to go back and read it. Morrison writes with such immense power. I look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Niranjana, I found Song of Solomon also powerful. It took me to places I never thought an American writer would take me, into the realms of magic. Africans believe more in magic and all that. I hope to enjoy Beloved even more than Song of Solomon, which left me puzzled and devastated in one breath.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Help Improve the Blog with a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

69. The Clothes of Nakedness by Benjamin Kwakye, A Review

Pre-Colonial* and Post Colonial African Literature - Is Writing the Path to Development

10. Unexpected Joy at Dawn: My Reading