Library Additions

Geosi shared with me his new source of used books. Not that I didn't know this place but I associated them with text books and genre-fiction. When I was in school I visited them for some of my text books. However, recently they have taken delivery of fiction, literary fiction and Geosi found himself a lot of gems. I went there too and got myself some really interesting books. And the big 'thing' is that the books are cheap. Very cheap. A buck each. I went there with the high-book-cost mentality and came with a truckload of books:
  • Atonement by Ian McEwan. This 2001 Booker shortlist book is on my Top 100 books reading challenge. I haven't read any book by this acclaimed British author. Not yet.
  • On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan. This is also on my Top 100 books reading challenge. By this effort and others, I definitely am on my way to fulfilling at least 50 percent of this challenge, not this year but by 2012. On Chesil Beach was also shortlisted for the 2007 Booker.
  • Saturday by Ian McEwan. This makes it a trilogy for McEwan. This trilogy starts of with Atonement published in 2001, Saturday in 2005 and On Chesil Beach in 2007 consecutively.
  • The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger. Another recommendation by book bloggers. Sometimes I don't know whether these books have been actually recommended or I buy them simply because I have read reviews of them. But definitely, their names sound familiar and have generated some heat on the web.
  • White Teeth by Zadie Smith. This book is also on my top 100 reading challenge. Zadie Smith was voted as one of Britain's Best 20 Novelists under 40 years by the Telegraph.
  • The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency (1) by Alexander McCall Smith. I saw this book on the blogosphere, amongst the book blogging community. I also love the setting and want to know what it has to offer. It's about a detective agency in Gaborone, Botswana owned by Precious Ramotswe - the first lady to enter into that line of business. The author is Scottish but was born in Rhodesia, current Zimbabwe.
  • The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. After his controversies and his supposed 'snubbing' of Oprah's request to appear on her show, after the book had been  selected for the Oprah Book Club, and his latest book Freedom having the Obamas as one of its first readers, I think it is time to listen to what this young supposedly intelligentsia writer has to say with this book.
  • Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. This is another book I discovered from reading reviews from book bloggers. I don't know the exact place, but I know I read two reviews of it in a week, positive or negative the name stuck.
  • The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. I love this book because it features Longfellow, Lowell, Holmes as characters and a book club at its centre. It is also about murder and the search of the murderer. I love stories about books and book lovers like Arturo Perez Reverte's The Dumas Club.
  • The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. I have heard the name before, perhaps even read a review or two of her books. I bought this because it won the Pulitzer Prize in 1994.
What are your thoughts on these titles. I have also realised that most of the books I am acquiring is bound to defeat the purpose of this blog if I go ahead and read them in a row. Thus, I would be going in search of more African titles as I am running-out of them.

Comments

  1. Love your list of acquisitions: where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah great to hear about the new source of books! I hope you really enjoy these titles. Some I enjoyed, some not so much, but most of them I haven't read at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Moly you got some great books there! Atonement is my favorite book of all time, so I am excited that you will be reading it, and can't wait for your review. The others were amazing finds as well! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Nina, thanks... I got them from Book Trust, adjacent IPS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Amy, I knew that source but they used to sell mainly used text books and genre fiction (the Romance type). Guess their new delivery turn out to be all sorts of fiction.

    I hope to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Zibilee. Yay! I'm going to read your all time favourite novel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list as usual. I really loved "White Teeth" but it was a while ago. I wonder what my reaction would be now.

    "Reading Lolita in Tehran" is also a good book. It made me se Nabokov's "Lolita" in a new way.

    The only book I'd "warn" you against is McEwan's "Saturday". I found it rather dull, but I know many others loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Stefania, I trust your judgement. thanks for the early lead.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Help Improve the Blog with a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

69. The Clothes of Nakedness by Benjamin Kwakye, A Review

10. Unexpected Joy at Dawn: My Reading

Pre-Colonial* and Post Colonial African Literature - Is Writing the Path to Development