#Quotes from Jane Austen's Persuasion

This is a popular book and so I did not set out to mark out every possible quote; they could be obtained at several outlets. However, there were those I just couldn't skip.

How quick come the reasons for approving what we like! [46]

There's hardly any personal defect, which an agreeable manner might not gradually reconcile to. [63]

I think very differently, an agreeable manner may set off handsome features, but can never alter plain ones. [63]

Personal size and mental sorrow have certainly no necessary proportions. A large bulky figure has as good a right to be in deep affliction, as the most graceful set of limbs in the world. But, fair or not fair, there are unbecoming conjunctions, which reason will patronize in vain, - which taste cannot tolerate, - which ridicule will seize. [92]

[W]hen pain is over, the remembrance of it often becomes a pleasure. [193]

You should not have suspected me now; the case so different, and my age so different. If I was wrong I yielding to persuasion once, remember that it was to persuasion exerted on the side of safety, not of risk. When I yielded, I thought it was to duty; but no duty could be called in aid here. In marrying a man indifferent to me, all risk would have been incurred, and all duty violated. [246]

Who can be in doubt of what followed? When any two young people take it into their heads to marry, they are pretty sure by perseverance to carry their point, be they ever so poor, or ever so imprudent, or ever so little likely to be necessary to each other's ultimate comfort. [250]
________________
Read the review here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

69. The Clothes of Nakedness by Benjamin Kwakye, A Review

10. Unexpected Joy at Dawn: My Reading

Pre-Colonial* and Post Colonial African Literature - Is Writing the Path to Development