191. The Godfather by Mario Puzo

There are some books that have been widely read and which have become a cult onto themselves that what one says can do nothing to change perspectives, more especially if one is only adding on to the positive reviews that abounds. The Godfather (Signet, 1978 (First Pub. 1969); 443) by Mario Puzo is one such book and I don't intend to do any detailed review or analyses of the book. Much has already been done.

All I want to say is I read and enjoyed this book. My sympathy towards the Corleones sometimes made me feel that I am also a maniac for aside all the Luca Brasi did, the Don still appealed to me. Puzo's writing does that; he makes you have sympathy for the protagonist even if he is involved in several illegalities. I like Michael and the way he handled issues and how he did away with the threat towards the empire. There is nowhere where the phrase 'honour amongst thieves' has more meaning that in this story of the Sicilian Mafia and their rise in the United States.

If you haven't read this book, please kindly do so. There are also movie adaptations of Puzo's works; yet I always recommend reading the books first before watching the movies.

Comments

  1. I am glad you read this book. And I agree that no detailed review can add to or subtract from what has laready been said. I fell in love with the Corleones, despite, Santino's cruelty and the swift justice meted out by the Don himself to his enemies. They were a honourable bunch, if there was one. Nana, read, the Scicilian, and The Godson, you will be amazed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will look for them. I loved this one.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Help Improve the Blog with a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

69. The Clothes of Nakedness by Benjamin Kwakye, A Review

10. Unexpected Joy at Dawn: My Reading

Pre-Colonial* and Post Colonial African Literature - Is Writing the Path to Development