January in Review and Projections for February

Most of my readings this year would be challenge-related as I pursue the target of 70 books. I have tried committing myself to 50 pages a day, regardless of the font size or volume of the book and somehow it is working. Weekends are used for rounding up reads especially those that are less than 150 pages to completion. 

Comparatively, I read more books (9) in January 2011 than I have read in January 2012 (7, excluding single stories). However, the total pages read (1533) for last year January is less than the total pages (1755, excluding single stories and the first review for 2012 which was read in December 2011) for this month. Books read and or reviewed in January are:
  1. So Long a Letter by Mariama Ba (read in 2011, Top 100 Books Reading Challenge)
  2. The Conservationist by Nadine Gordimer (Top 100 Books Reading Challenge)
  3. I Write What I Like by Steve Biko
  4. Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (Top 100 Books Reading Challenge, Chunkster Challenge)
  5. As the Crow Flies by Veronique Tadjo (African Reading Challenge)
  6. The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (Top 100 Books Reading Challenge)
  7. African Roar 2011 edited by Ivor Hartmann and Emmanuel Sigauke
  8. Burning Grass by Cyprian Ekwensi
In addition I read a number of single stories which were reviewed for Short Story Monday and are part of the 100 shots of shorts challenge:
  1. The Pilot by Joshua Ferris
  2. Here We Aren't, So Quickly by Jonathan Safran Foer
  3. What You Do Out There, When You're Alone by Philipp Meyer
  4. The Entire Northern Side was Covered with Fire by Rivka Galchen
  5. The Mistress's Dog by David Medalie
  6. Hitting Budapest by NoViolet Bulawayo
In February I would continue with the intersecting-challenge books. My first read will be Palace Walk by Naguib Mahfuoz, a 498-page book that qualifies for the Chunkster Challenge, the Africa Reading Challenge and the Top 100 Books Reading Challenge. I want to read Harare North, a non-challenge book, because it has been on my shelf for sometime now. Again, there will be - not sure though - some Morrisons to be read. I have Paradise, Her Bluest Eyes and Sula  on my shelf. Again I really want to read Jose Saramago's Blindness. I am running out of African-authored books on my shelf and need to go book-buying soon, else my reading might get skewed this month or year. Whatever I read, I hope February would be as fruitful as January has been.

Comments

  1. Congratulations on a great month of reading. Some really fun books there. I am looking forward, too, to your review of African Roar 2011. All the best in your February reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy.I'll review it perhaps next week or two. I am trying to have one short story every Monday, a book on Wednesday, quotes on Friday and new books (if available) on Saturdays.

      Delete
  2. Whoa, whoa, slow down there, my brother! You are getting ahead of me in this our 70-book challenge. It's only January and I already have some catching up to do. But seriously, your reading for January is quite good and inspiring. And your February starts off very well with the Mahfouz book, which I loved. So rather reluctantly, I wish you a good reading month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. January was somewhat good. I don't know exactly what happened. I wish I am able to maintain the momentum throughout this year but it's better to be on the higher side sometimes so as to compensate on the others.

      Delete
  3. Nana, I must say that I admire your reading drive. Congratulations. Since I started blogging in January, I've read and reviewed two books and entered two challenges. There are some books I read earlier on in the month that I didn't count. I am now going to keep track and give my reading a kick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. Blogging is the major encouragement for my reading. I also love keeping tracks of the petty things like pages read etc. I however make sure that I don't read for reading sake but enjoy it also. If a book is 'worrying' me, I put it down for sometime and pick it up later. I will also be following your progress.

      Delete
  4. Oh, it's nice to know that you "have" to go book-buying, isn't it?! I forgot about Harare North; I heard the author read from it after it was released and quite enjoyed the presentation, but forgot to add it to my list. Thanks for the nudge!

    I hope your February is filled with more good reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BIP, I hope so. Now the only thing hampering my book-buying trip is time. I've got to find time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Help Improve the Blog with a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

69. The Clothes of Nakedness by Benjamin Kwakye, A Review

Pre-Colonial* and Post Colonial African Literature - Is Writing the Path to Development

10. Unexpected Joy at Dawn: My Reading