Called by a Book

I went to the University of Ghana, specifically to the Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness,  to check on some issues. While leaving, and I must say it was also drizzling, and having got to the main entrance, something questioned me whether I have visited the bookshop. And immediately two books came to mind: Osiris Rising and The Healers, both by Ayi Kwei Armah. The latter book I even voiced it out. The last time I went there I purchased Two Thousand Seasons and Fragments (by the same author). So I undertook the long walk back to the bookshop and there it was 'The Healers', sitting quietly in its rack, calling to me, saying pick me up please and as an obedient Bibliophile I picked it up and began looking for its brother/sister, 'Osiris Rising'. But the latter, I could not find and I know it would call out to me wherever it is.

The price tag of this book was Ghana Cedis 20 or about US$ 14.

The Healers, Ayi Kwei Armah's fifth novel after Two Thousand Seasons, was first published in 1978. However, this copy was published by Per Ankh in 2000.

At the Back
'The Healers' tells a story of conflict and regeneration focused on a group with a chosen vocation: to replace the toxic ignorance that breeds ethnic, class and caste divisions with the healing knowledge of African unity.

The time: late nineteenth-century Africa. Three centuries of Slaving Wars have destroyed Africa to enrich Europe and America. Now European armies push to partition Africa for more systematic colonial pillage. The continent resists. But because its traditional elites see themselves not as part of one human community but as members of hostile micronational, ethnic, class and caste groups, Africa's defenses lie shattered.

For The Healers, the cause of Africa's subjugation is clear: the poisons of division have eaten deep. The antidote is equally obvious. The time has come to replace the destructive, obsolete rituals of division with the creative work of unifiers.

This book is available at amazon. Click here

Celebrating Efua Sutherland
The National Theatre, on Friday 25th June 2010, would be the place where the works and achievement of ace Ghanaian playwright, Efua Sutherland, would be celebrated. There would also be the review of her book Marriage of Anansewaa.

As a literary night, there would also be music, drama and poetry. The time for the event is 6:30pm and admission is free. All are welcome.
_______________________
Read my review here

Comments

  1. Always nice to have you visit Fresh Ink Books. I see you are enjoying Possession right now. A rewarding reading experience, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Sandra for passing by. Yes... I am enjoying Possession and I hope to talk a little about it when I am done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've read the Healers and though it's fiction it puts the institution of chieftiancy in it's right place: an exploitative system that belongs to the 'dustbin'. you are not told this directly but the picture is painted very vividly.

    for that reason alone i recommend this book to all human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Novisi and I know you. You are one of the few who inspired me to love this book and now I have to read it. The same issue was started in Two Thousand Seasons. and I believe we all should read it except the Ostentatious Cripples.

    ReplyDelete
  5. why not the Ostentatious Cripples?
    now you make me curious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know those Ostentatious Cripples would not change their ways cos they are those who stand to benefit if the status quo is maintained and should we change ... guess what would happen? They would fight it. So we take it from them and fight them whilst they are unaware... Amu Djoleto said in "The Strange Man" Convention and Conformity are the Foundation Stone of Decadence

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Help Improve the Blog with a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

69. The Clothes of Nakedness by Benjamin Kwakye, A Review

Pre-Colonial* and Post Colonial African Literature - Is Writing the Path to Development

10. Unexpected Joy at Dawn: My Reading