Additions to the Library

The last time I shared books I've acquired was in September, though I've acquired a few and have read some already:

October, 2012
  1. Women Leading Africa - Conversations with Inspirational African Women by Nana Darkoa Sakyiamah (Editor). 
November, 2012
  1. Search Sweet Country by Kojo Laing. I've read this book already. However, I bought it because the author is unique in his approach to the novel and was challenged by Big Bishop Roko and the Altar Gangsters.
  2. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. I once heard that no one can say she/he has sat in a Literature class without reading Woolf. I'm not a student of Literature but I love literature (the small 'l') so I decided to just try it and I didn't regret it.
  3. Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather. I chose this book because I've seen the author's name on some list before. I really don't know where but I chose it and read it and was, again, not disappointed. It's simple and straightforward, describing the proselytising life in a desolate place.
  4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I watched the movie and loved it. I also saw my former boss reading this. A busy man he was, I was shocked to see him read this book. I promised myself to also read it.
  5. The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson. I hope to complete Stieg Larsson's trilogy; though I didn't get the third book The Girl who kicked the Hornet's Nest.
  6. Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue. Because I couldn't get Room in my local used-books store, I settle on this. At least, it will offer an introduction to the author.
  7. Moby-Dick by Herman Melville. I bought this book only because it is on my Top 100 list and also because I want to, after reading it, be able to say 'I too have read it'. It sounds braggadocio but once in a while one has to brag. It helps.
  8. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. Again, have seen this and another book of his on several lists of top 100 books. Besides, no one needs any talking-to to read Hemingway. I've read this already and it is good.
  9. The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver. Again, I wanted the Poisonwood Bible but in its absence, I think this will serve as an introduction.
  10. Freedom Train: The Story of Harriet Tubman by Dorothy Sterling. This simple book tells of the life of this extraordinary woman. It was worth the read; an introduction though.
February 2013: Most of the books that will be purchased this year, all other things being equal, will go to fulfilling my main 2013 reading objectives: Russian novels, non-fiction (especially on language, its development and psychology (or thought) and its link to development), and other unique novels.
  1. Wizard of the Crow by Ngugi wa Thiong'o. Gradually, Ngugi is becoming one of the authors I want to one day say I've read entirely. I searched for this book for so long but never managed to buy it; however, when I saw this copy in a Duty Free Bookshop at JKIA I instantly grabbed it and jumped into it when I completed the one I was reading. In fact, it epitomises Ngugi's life's work; this book brings his entire thinking about post-colonial independent African states. It jumped onto my all-time favourite list and will be on the favourites favourite list, if I were to prepare such a list.
  2. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. To be read to fulfill the objective of reading Russian authors this year. At close to 1,400 pages, this monster of a chunkster, with its small print, will likely cast out all reading demons out of the faint-hearted. I hope I am able to persevere for I want to read it soon (that is next).
  3. Dead Aid by Dambisa Moyo. Again, like I've already said, I want to read more non-fiction this year, compared to last year and this book fits into an article I'm currently thinking about writing.
  4. My First Coup D'Etat by John Dramani Mahama. Ever since this book came out I had been eager to read it; but later the enthusiasm fell and I lost interest. However, a trip to the EPP bookshop (the one located Legon) brought back that enthusiasm. By the way, EPP is doing something spectacular for Ghanaian book-lovers, readers and students. In an era where books are being replaced by music CDs and bookshelves are receding like low-tide oceans, they have shocked the system with a huge shop at Legon (more about this another time).
  5. Interventions - A Life in War and Peace by Kofi Annan with Nader Mousavizadeh. I'm not one for memoirs. I think it's a nice way of sanitising and rationalising ones actions. However, sometimes there is sometimes one could learn from them; even George Bush's Decision Point still have something to offer beyond the sanitisation of his blind invasion of Iraq and his belligerent posture and behaviour that terrorised and plunged the world into a state of insecurity and hopelessness. Before I'm attacked I hope no one will imagine himself as a citizen of Iraq or Afghanistan. So I decided to get this new memoir of the son of the motherland. I want to know more about him, even if it's sanitised. Besides, a man like him has a lot to offer and through them one can understand the world better.

Comments

  1. Nana, your choices of books are great! Thanks for sharing them! I have read some and the others remain quite intriguing. However, it is always inspiring to read books about history, biographies and real life experiences. They all expand our realities and teach us to be more human. It is always nice to see the world from other people's perspective to avoid judging people and judging history erroneously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for recommending Kojo's Search Sweet County. I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But that book is not for the faint-hearted.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Help Improve the Blog with a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

69. The Clothes of Nakedness by Benjamin Kwakye, A Review

10. Unexpected Joy at Dawn: My Reading

Pre-Colonial* and Post Colonial African Literature - Is Writing the Path to Development