Library Additions

Finally, I have been able to add some books to my library. Over the past two or three days I have made purchases of some books to help me with the Africa Reading Challenge - in the coming weekend I would to show my progress with this challenge. The following are the books:

  1. Tropical Fish: Tales from Entebee by Doreen Baingana (Uganda): I haven't as yet read any book by a Ugandan writer so I chose to add this book to my collection. Also this book has been read and reviewed by Geosi of Geosi Reads and Kinna of Kinna Reads. This is a collection of short stories and the title story won the Commonwealth Writers’ Prize for Best First Book in the Africa region.
  2. Underground People by Lewis Nkosi (South Africa): Louis Henry Gates (Jnr) says the author (and this book) is worth listening to. Besides, my reading of South African authors (excepting the dual nationalist Bessie Head, whose work I have not yet reviewed) does not include an author of colour. Lewis Nkosi is the beginning of the balance I intend to have in my readings.
  3. The Book of Chameleons by Jose Eduardo Agualusa (Angola): Kinna recommended this author and I was with her when she purchased her copy. It promises to be an interesting novel, having won many awards. It is also steeped in Latin American magic realism.
  4. Maru by Bessie Head (South Africa/Botswana): After reading her letters and essays in A Woman Alone I think the stage is now set for her novels. I have wanted to read A Question of Power but had to settle for this. Most of her novels are set in Serowe, Botswana.
  5. Mema by Daniel Mengara (Gabon): I bought this book mainly for the Africa Reading Challenge, having not heard of the author or the book.
  6. The Gods are Not to Blame by Ola Rotimi (Nigeria): I enjoyed his play Our Husband Has Gone Mad Again and decided to read this again. In secondary school this was a reading requirement for the Literature students and so I head snippets of the story.
Over the coming months ImageNations' readers would be treated to reviews of the above books. However, I am currently sticking to the books I purchased last year.

Comments

  1. Great post! I hadn't heard of any of these books before so I found it really inspirational to read about them

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Willa, thanks. Hope you find some of them to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. some great books Nana I loved book chameleons when I read it ,all the best stu

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Stu, thanks. I hope to also enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I'm looking forward to your review of Tropical Fish, in fact all of them. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fantastic additions to your library! I've read and enjoyed Maru, I can't wait to hear more about all of the other additions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kinna, thanks... hope I would enjoy them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Amy, didn't know you have read Maru... lol. But can't check now until I have read it. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting books you have here. Hope you enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Geosi, hope so. Know you have read some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you have some great finds there! I hope you enjoy them- and let us know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard of Tropical Fish, should actually look for it. The Gods are not to blame is an awesome play. Look forward to your reviews Nana.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Marie, I believe so and just keep visiting to read my thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Myne, It actually won the Commonwealth Prize for Africa Region. With Ola Rotimi one would never be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Help Improve the Blog with a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

69. The Clothes of Nakedness by Benjamin Kwakye, A Review

Pre-Colonial* and Post Colonial African Literature - Is Writing the Path to Development

10. Unexpected Joy at Dawn: My Reading